Watch a pro
About the job
Operate one or several types of power construction equipment, such as motor graders, bulldozers, scrapers, compressors, pumps, derricks, shovels, tractors, or front-end loaders to excavate, move, and grade earth, erect structures, or pour concrete or other hard surface pavement. May repair and maintain equipment in addition to other duties.
What you'll do
- Compile cost estimates for jobs.
- Drive tractor-trailer trucks to move equipment from site to site.
- Operate compactors, scrapers, or rollers to level, compact, or cover refuse at disposal grounds.
- Operate conveyors to remove grit and debris from digesters.
- Operate road watering, oiling, or rolling equipment, or street sealing equipment, such as chip spreaders.
- Perform specialized work, using equipment such as pile drivers, dredging rigs, drillers, or concrete pumpers.
- Push other equipment when extra traction or assistance is required.
- Talk to clients and study instructions, plans, or diagrams to establish work requirements.
- Test atmosphere for adequate oxygen or explosive conditions when working in confined spaces.
- Turn valves to control air or water output of compressors or pumps.
Things you need to know
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.