About the job
Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of mechanics, installers, and repairers.
What you'll do
- Compile operational or personnel records, such as time and production records, inventory data, repair or maintenance statistics, or test results.
- Counsel employees about work-related issues and assist employees to correct job-skill deficiencies.
- Design equipment configurations to meet personnel needs.
- Develop or implement electronic maintenance programs or computer information management systems.
- Interpret specifications, blueprints, or job orders to construct templates and lay out reference points for workers.
- Meet with vendors or suppliers to discuss products used in repair work.
- Participate in budget preparation and administration, coordinating purchasing and documentation and monitoring departmental expenditures.
- Perform skilled repair or maintenance operations, using equipment such as hand or power tools, hydraulic presses or shears, or welding equipment.
- Recommend or initiate personnel actions, such as hires, promotions, transfers, discharges, or disciplinary measures.
- Review, evaluate, accept, and coordinate completion of work bid from contractors.
Things you need to know
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.