Watch a pro
About the job
Install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems.
What you'll do
- Assemble, install, test, or maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, or fixtures, using hand tools or power tools.
- Construct or fabricate parts, using hand tools, according to specifications.
- Direct or train workers to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures.
- Fasten small metal or plastic boxes to walls to house electrical switches or outlets.
- Install ground leads and connect power cables to equipment, such as motors.
- Perform business management duties, such as maintaining records or files, preparing reports, or ordering supplies or equipment.
- Perform physically demanding tasks, such as digging trenches to lay conduit or moving or lifting heavy objects.
- Provide assistance during emergencies by operating floodlights or generators, placing flares, or driving needed vehicles.
- Provide preliminary sketches or cost estimates for materials or services.
- Repair or replace wiring, equipment, or fixtures, using hand tools or power tools.
Things you need to know
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.