About the job
Set up, operate, or tend machines to crush, grind, or polish materials, such as coal, glass, grain, stone, food, or rubber.
What you'll do
- Add or mix chemicals and ingredients for processing, using hand tools or other devices.
- Break mixtures to size, using picks.
- Collect samples of materials or products for laboratory testing.
- Dislodge and clear jammed materials or other items from machinery and equipment, using hand tools.
- Inspect chains, belts, or scrolls for signs of wear.
- Load materials into machinery and equipment, using hand tools.
- Mark bins as to types of mixtures stored.
- Tend accessory equipment, such as pumps and conveyors, to move materials or ingredients through production processes.
- Test samples of materials or products to ensure compliance with specifications, using test equipment.
- Turn valves to regulate the moisture contents of materials.
Things you need to know
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.