About the job
Plan, direct, or coordinate, usually through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, budgeting, and implementation. Includes managers in specialized construction fields, such as carpentry or plumbing.
What you'll do
- Apply green building strategies to reduce energy costs or minimize carbon output or other sources of harm to the environment.
- Contract or oversee craft work, such as painting or plumbing.
- Determine labor requirements for dispatching workers to construction sites.
- Develop construction budgets that compare green and non-green construction alternatives in terms of short-term costs, long-term costs, or environmental impacts.
- Direct acquisition of land for construction projects.
- Direct and supervise construction or related workers.
- Evaluate construction methods and determine cost-effectiveness of plans, using computer models.
- Implement training programs on environmentally responsible building topics to update employee skills and knowledge.
- Procure Leadership in Energy Efficient Design (LEED) or other environmentally certified professionals to ensure responsible design and building activities or to achieve favorable LEED ratings for building projects.
- Requisition supplies or materials to complete construction projects.
Things you need to know
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.