About the job
Apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
What you'll do
- Assist customers in selection of tile and grout.
- Brush glue onto manila paper on which design has been drawn and position tiles finished side down onto paper.
- Build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires and brackets.
- Cut tile backing to required size, using shears.
- Install and anchor fixtures in designated positions, using hand tools.
- Measure and cut metal lath to size for walls and ceilings, using tin snips.
- Prepare cost and labor estimates based on calculations of time and materials needed for project.
- Select and order tile and other items to be installed, such as bathroom accessories, walls, panels, and cabinets, according to specifications.
- Spread mastic or other adhesive base on roof deck to form base for promenade tile, using serrated spreader.
- Study blueprints and examine surface to be covered to determine amount of material needed.
Things you need to know
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.