About the job
Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
What you'll do
- Cut, bend, thread, and connect pipe to functional components and water, power, or refrigeration system.
- Drill holes and install mounting brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building.
- Estimate, order, pick up, deliver, and install materials and supplies needed to maintain equipment in good working condition.
- Fabricate and assemble structural and functional components of refrigeration system, using hand tools, power tools, and welding equipment.
- Lay out reference points for installation of structural and functional components, using measuring instruments.
- Lift and align components into position, using hoist or block and tackle.
- Read blueprints to determine location, size, capacity, and type of components needed to build refrigeration system.
- Schedule work with customers and initiate work orders, house requisitions and orders from stock.
- Supervise and instruct assistants.
Things you need to know
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.