About the job
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints.
What you'll do
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Install or repair sanitary or stormwater sewer structures or pipe systems.
- Install or use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit levels.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Locate existing pipes needing repair or replacement, using magnetic or radio indicators.
- Operate mechanized equipment, such as pickup trucks, rollers, tandem dump trucks, front-end loaders, or backhoes.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Train or supervise others in laying pipe.
Things you need to know
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.