About the job
Shape molten glass according to patterns.
What you'll do
- Cut lengths of tubing to specified sizes, using files or cutting wheels.
- Design and create glass objects, using blowpipes and artisans' hand tools and equipment.
- Operate and maintain finishing machines to grind, drill, sand, bevel, decorate, wash, or polish glass or glass products.
- Operate electric kilns that heat glass sheets and molds to the shape and curve of metal jigs.
- Place electrodes in tube ends and heat them with glass burners to fuse them into place.
- Place glass into dies or molds of presses and control presses to form products, such as glassware components or optical blanks.
- Repair broken scrolls by replacing them with new sections of tubing.
- Spray or swab molds with oil solutions to prevent adhesion of glass.
- Strike necks of finished articles to separate articles from blowpipes.
- Superimpose bent tubing on asbestos patterns to ensure accuracy.
Things you need to know
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.