About the job
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
What you'll do
- Assist workers in tasks such as coupling railroad cars or loading vehicles.
- Compute or estimate cash, payroll, transportation, personnel, or storage requirements.
- Examine, measure, or weigh cargo or materials to determine specific handling requirements.
- Explain and demonstrate work tasks to new workers or assign training tasks to experienced workers.
- Perform or schedule repairs or preventive maintenance of vehicles or other equipment.
- Prepare, compile, and submit reports on work activities, operations, production, or work-related accidents.
- Recommend and implement measures to improve worker motivation, equipment performance, work methods, or customer services.
- Recommend or implement personnel actions, such as employee selection, evaluation, rewards, or disciplinary actions.
- Requisition needed personnel, supplies, equipment, parts, or repair services.
- Resolve worker problems or collaborate with employees to assist in problem resolution.
Things you need to know
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.