About the job
Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
What you'll do
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs as necessary.
- Direct helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Direct truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and cover, uncover, or secure loads for delivery.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Inspect bundle packaging for conformance to regulations or customer requirements and remove and batch packaging tickets.
- Inspect cables or grappling devices for wear and install or replace cables, as needed.
- Load or unload bundles from trucks or move containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
- Review daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Weigh bundles, using floor scales, and record weights for company records.
Things you need to know
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.