About the job
Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering.
What you'll do
- Apply additional coats to fill in holes and make surfaces smooth.
- Apply texturizing compounds or primers to walls or ceilings before final finishing, using trowels, brushes, rollers, or spray guns.
- Check adhesives to ensure that they will work and will remain durable.
- Countersink nails or screws below surfaces of walls before applying sealing compounds, using hammers or screwdrivers.
- Install metal molding at wall corners to secure wallboard.
- Sand or patch nicks or cracks in plasterboard or wallboard.
- Sand rough spots of dried cement between applications of compounds.
- Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surfaces for painting or papering.
- Select the correct sealing compound or tape.
- Use mechanical applicators that spread compounds and embed tape in one operation.
Things you need to know
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Abilities you'll need to have
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.